American Quarter Horse Association is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of museum curator. This position will work out of the international headquarters located in Amarillo, TX and cannot be performed remotely.
If interested we would like to invite you to apply by clicking here.
Manages the development and execution of American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum exhibits and serves as primary administrator of its collection with the goal to record and share the history of the American Quarter Horse and ensure Hall of Fame inductee impact is preserved and promoted.
- Serve as primary administrator of the museum’s archives, organize exhibitions, arrange restoration of artifacts, identify and record items for collections, organize loans and handle associated inquiries
- Research, develop and execute high quality, relevant exhibits with manager based on specified budgets and work with staff to implement related events and activities
- Develop audio-visual presentations for exhibition, and coordinate archival digitization projects to create online educational learning opportunities
- Manage preservation, conservation, and organizational system for archived materials, including 3-D artifacts, photographs, manuscripts, digital images, etc.
- Supervise collections management activities, including cataloging acquisitions, data entry and inquiries
- Ensure collections database is maintained and liaise with software vendor(s) as necessary
- Coordinate with Hall of Fame inductees to collect and record historical experiences and perspectives
- Coordinate with AQHA departments to create exhibit/event materials (online/printed), including production of exhibit specific text panels, artifact labels and related signage
- Work in partnership with community outreach liaison to implement educational activities performed in conjunction with exhibits and/or events
- Coordinate with facilities staff to ensure proper maintenance, renovations, and repair of building and equipment
- Coordinate with staff/vendors to secure exhibit supplies within approved budget
- Coordinate development of proposals to apply for outside grant funding
- Manage correspondence related to museum inquiries, including acquisitions, loans, accession or deaccession of artifacts for exhibition
- Field calls relevant to museum exhibits, archives/collections, and Hall of Fame induction events
- Provide research support for the development and implementation of annual budgets
- Provide support for museum marketing and promotional activities
- Provide support for admissions, guest services, group tours, retail sales
- All other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree or three years equivalent experience and training in museum industry
- Museum operations, exhibit design and collections management experience
- Familiarity with collections management software
- Familiarity with digital tools necessary to develop online exhibits and podcasts
- Must be knowledgeable in all Microsoft Office Applications
Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
To learn more about the American Quarter Horse Association, and to see what other jobs they have listed on Of The West, click here.
You must sign in to apply for this position.